Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Flower Girls

Since sewing is slow going for me, and it may be a while before I have a new project to blog about, I thought I would start with some of my past work.

Three years ago on August 31, my sister got married.  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY RAEANN AND TOMMY!!  They had a beautiful wedding.  Family members made up their wedding party; my 3 daughters were the flower girls.

When my first daughter, Mary, was born I decided I wanted to learn how to sew and smock so that I could make pretty dresses for her.  I started small with a bishop pattern and then subscribed to some heirloom and smocking magazines.  Eventually after a few years, I had managed to sew quite a few dresses for her as well as my other daughters who came along a couple of years later, Lucy and Madeline.

By the time my sister announced her wedding, I was ready for the challenge. I jumped right in and asked if I could make the flower girl dresses.  It took a lot of planning, patience, and perseverance, but after nine months I completed the dresses, just in time.  I was thrilled with the result.

The patterns and smocking plates came from Australian Smocking and Embroidery.  The dresses were constructed with silk dupioni, silk organza, silk flosses for the embroidery, and tiny pearls and beads.

Mary's dress is "Dancing Queen" from issue 76.









Lucy's dress is "Fairy Dust" from issue 51  .


Madeline's dress is "The Little Flower Girl" from issue 39.

It was a lot of work, but what a joy!


3 comments:

  1. These dresses are absolutely gorgeous!! I've never learned smocking - I have great admiration for those who do it.
    -Candice Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning, stunning work! The dresses are almost as beautiful as the three lovely girls who wore them. What a wonderful gift for your sister. I'm not a smocker but adore the AS&E designs. Your renditions are magnificent.

    ReplyDelete